- Describe the
conditions on sugar plantation in the French West Indies. These
plantations were the most profitable in all the French Empire. (How do
you think they financed their wars?)
- When Candide hears the black man's story, what does he finally conclude?
(Is this a bad moment for him?)
- What is Candide’s plan to recover Cunegonde?
- How does Candide get ripped off by Mynheer Vanderdendur?
- How does Candide meet Martin the Manichean?
- What is the topic of Candide's and Martin's conversations while enroute
- What is a Socinian?
- What is a Manichean?
- What is Martin the Manichean's argument for the existence of Satan?
- Does what happens during the sea battle confirm Martin’s philosophy?
What is Voltaire’s point?
- What is the purpose is served by the design of the universe, according
- How does he describe
man in the state of nature?
- To what extent would Voltaire agree with Martin? Would he agree that
people have Free Will as Candide argues?
- How did the
Baron wind up enslaved and tortured in the Pasha’s galley?
- How did
- How did Pangloss wind up in hot
- (How does Pangloss hint
that he has modified his belief in optimistic determinism?)
- What sad
event prevents Candide from achieving perfect happiness? How
this occurrence complete his education?
- Where do Candide and his friends decide to make their
home? (Recognize this place?)
- Why does Voltaire turn Cunegonde ugly? How does this artistic choice
relate to his vision of the potential of achieving perfect happiness?
Why does the family decide to
get rid of the
do they do it?)
- What is life
like on Candide’s little farm? Is that so bad?
- What is the topic of the philosophical disputes that take place at Candide’s farm house?
- What wisdom does the
dervish share with the family about the origin of evil?
neighbor's philosophy of life?
- How does the existence of ice
into Voltaire’s philosophy?
- Has Candide learned anything
from his experience?