|"Never Such Innocence Again" (Paul Fussell)
- Name four technological innovations which transformed warfare
- What event precipitated the war?
- Name the members of the Central Powers.
- Name the members of the Grand Alliance.
- How long did the combatants believe the war would last in 1914?
- What reasons drove young men from England sign up to fight in such numbers?
- Why did the fighting bog down?
- What is a "war of attrition"?
- What were 'funk holes'?
- What made the trenches 'lousy'?
- How many British soldiers were killed in one morning at the Battle of the Somme? (23,000 died on both sides at Gettysburg)
- Describe three of the factors (besides the imminence of death)
which made life miserable for soldiers in the trenches.
- Who became the leaders of the anti-war movement in England?
- What key event led to the eventual defeat of the Germans?