|Candide, Chapters 8-12
Reading Comprehension Quiz
- How did Cunegonde survive her ordeal with the Bulgar soldiers?
- How did she wind up in Portugal?
- What compromise regarding Cunegonde was reached between
Inquisitor and Don Isaachar?
- What should we make of Voltaire's open anti-Semitism?
Has Cunegonde learned anything from her adventures?
moral judgment should we attach to
Candide's killing of Don Isaachar?
Is it murder?
about the killing of the Inquisitor which follows almost immediately
thereafter? Is that murder?
is Candide's response when Cunegonde tells him that all of her
jewelry has been stolen?
what mission is the Portuguese man of war sailing which takes
Candide, Cunegonde and the Old Woman to the New World?
ability enables Candide to get hired as an officer?
does Candide hope that they will find in
the New World? (Has he learned anything?)
- Does Cunegonde agree?
- Why does the Old Woman insist that she, not Cunegonde, has experienced the worst possible life?
was the Old Woman's father?
happened to the Old Woman on her wedding day?
- What should we make
of Voltaire's open racism?
rescues The Old Woman from certain death when the Moorish tribes attack each
- What happens to her
Algiers after her
rescuer sells her into slavery?
rationale led the
Jannisaries to cut off the Old Woman's left buttock?
Despite all her terrible ordeals, the Old Woman never commits
Credit: Translate the following into English:
'O che sciagura d'essere senza coglioni.'