on Backgrounds to Greek Tragedy
Part One: Identify the Sections of a
Greek Theatre on the following diagram
Short Answer Questions;
- What is the primary feature of
- Towards what moment does the action
of a tragedy drive?
- What is a dithyramb? What
does the word literally mean?
- What innovation in the performance
of the dithyramb enabled the rapid development of the art form of tragedy?
Who was responsible for this innovation?
- What does the word tragedy
- What is the typical theme of a
tragedy? Into what kind of situation will the playwright inevitably place the
- In what political and social context
did Sophocles write Oedipus Rex?
- Describe the costume of a Greek
- How many could be seated in the
Theatre of Dionyus?
- How many actors performed in Oedipus Rex?
Extra Credit: Describe the following
special effects that would take place in a Greek tragedy:
o deus ex