Romanticism Backgrounds Quiz
1. Why did the Romantics believe that the poet rather than the scientist was best able to explore the mysteries of existence?
2. How was the Romantic idea of God different from the Enlightenment’s celestial clockmaker?
3. How did the Scottish philosopher David Hume shake the bedrock convictions of scientific certainty?
4. According to Kant, how does the human mind itself impose order upon our sense experiences? How did Kant rescue science from Hume’s skepticism?
5. Describe Hegel’s dynamic understanding of how the Spirit manifests itself in human history.
Define the categorical imperative: