|A Midsummer Night’s Dream|
Quiz on Act One scene one
- What does the play's title mean?
- When and where is the play set?
- How does Shakespeare draw on both Greek Mythology and English Folklore in imagining the characters for his play?
- What does Theseus mean when he says to Hippolyta,
methinks, how slow
This old moon wanes! she lingers my desires,
Like to a step-dame or a dowager
Long withering out a young man revenue.
- How does Egeus believe that Lysander has bewitched his daughter, Hermia?
- What does Egeus demand that Theseus do?
- How does Hermia respond to this threat?
- Why does Lysander argue that Demetrius should be disqualified from wooing Hermia?
- What do you think Hippolyta is thinking as she watches this scene unfold?
- How will this whole scene be replayed in dream land?