Quiz on Nineteenth Century Ideologies
- Why did
conservatives defend the authority of ancient institutions like the church,
the monarchy, and the aristocracy?
- What is the
key to progress according to liberal political philosophy?
- Why did de Toqueville
fear a ‘tyranny of the majority’?
- According to Adam Smith, how does reliance on
‘the invisible hand’ of market forces work to the benefit of all members
- Why is poverty natural and ineradicable
according to Malthus?
- Explain Jeremy Bentham’s principle of utility
in his approach to reform.
- Why did socialists criticize the classical
liberal faith in individual liberty as well as the radical liberal's
faith in reform?
- What reforms did Robert Owen encourage factory
owners to make voluntarily?
E.C. Describe Fourier’s socialist utopia: the phalanstery.