Nineteenth Century Ideologies Quiz 2
1. Why did conservatives criticize the Enlightenment ideals (the innate goodness of man, the natural rights of the individual, equality, faith in progress) that spread throughout Europe after the French Revolution?
2. Why did classical liberals argue that the pursuit of individual self-interest would lead to a better society?
3. How did the industrial revolution spawn a host of social problems that reached crisis proportions in the late nineteenth century?
4. How did Jeremy Benthamís †belief in active government clash with the ideas of classical liberals?
5. Why did socialists criticize liberal faith in individual liberty and equality?
Who would be the new elite in Saint-Simonís socialist society?