|Study Sheet on Romanticism and German Idealism
The Philosophe vs. the Romantic
1. Why did the Romantics denounce the scientific rationalism of the Enlightenment?
2. According to the Romantics, how did reason stifle the individual’s creativity? How could the expression of feeling lead to a truer understanding of human nature and the world?
3. Why did the Romantics believe that the poet rather than the scientist was best able to explore the mysteries of existence?
Nature, God and History
4. How was the Romantic idea of God different from the Enlightenment’s celestial clockmaker?
The Impact of the Romantic Movement
5. What dangerous political movements found their origins in the Romantics’ attack on the rational traditions of the Enlightenment?
6. Explain how the idealists understood the difference between material and spiritual reality. Which Greek philosopher inspired this dualistic understanding of reality?
7. How did the British philosopher David Hume shake the bedrock convictions of scientific certainty?