Quiz on "The Lost Colony", ch. 2 (pp. 25-43) of American Slavery...American Freedom (1975) Edmund S. Morgan
1. What did Arthur Barlow report about the nature of Virginia's land and people after his 1584 reconnaissance mission?
2. How were colonists recruited to participate in Raleigh's mission? Why was the mission put under military control?
3. In addition to plundering Spanish settlements in the Caribbean, what else was Drake up to as his armada made its way north?
4. What mistaken impressions did the Indians have of the English? Why?
5. Why did the English refuse to farm their own food during their first year in Roanoke?
Extra Credit: How did a tempest figure into the failure of the Roanoke project?