|1. After Gilbert disappeared
at sea, who
took over the Virginia colonization project?
2. What did Arthur
Barlow report about the nature of Virginia's land and people
after his 1584 reconnaissance mission?
||3. List the key components of
argument in his effort to convince Queen Elizabeth to support
Raleigh's plan to go to war with the Spanish in the New World.
|4. How were colonists recruited
to participate in Raleigh's mission? Why was the mission put under military control?
5. How did this choice betray the mission's
6. In addition to plundering Spanish settlements
in the Carribean, what else was Drake up
to as his armada made its way north?
|7. How did the depictions of the natives in White's paintings and Hariot's reports serve to confirm English preconceptions about the 'good' and 'bad' indians?
8. What mistaken impressions did the Indians have
9. What went wrong at Roanoke? (THESIS)
10. Why did the
English fail to fish, forage for or grow their own food, despite Indian aid, during their first year
11. How did the trouble
||12. What was the situation in
Roanoke when Drake arrived with his passengers freed from Spanish
13. How did the tempest of June13, 1586 finally
doom the expedition?
14. What became of the settlers, John White, his daughter, and their Indian friend Manteo who were left behind on Roanoke Island in
1587? (Inspiration for The Tempest?)
insight: "the Indians did not show the nobility and the English the
divininty that was expected of them".