|1. After Gilbert disappeared
at sea, who
took over the Virginia colonization project?
2. What did Arthur
Barlow report about the nature of Virginia's land and people
after his 1584 reconnaissance mission?
||3. List the key components of
argument in his effort to convince Queen Elizabeth to support
Raleigh's plan to go to war with the Spanish in the New World.
|4. How were colonists recruited
to participate in Raleigh's mission? Why was the mission put under military control?
5. How did this choice betray the mission's
6. In addition to plundering Spanish settlements
in the Carribean, what else was Drake up
to as his armada made its way north?
|7. What preconceptions did the English have about 'good indians' and 'bad indians'?
8. What mistaken impressions did the Indians have
9. What went wrong at Roanoke?
10. Why did the
English refuse to farm their own food during their first year
11. How did the trouble
||12. What was the situation in
Roanoke when Drake arrived with his passengers freed from Spanish
13. How did the tempest of June13, 1586 finally
doom the expedition?
14. What became of the settlers left behind in
||15. Substantiate Morgan's
insight: "the Indians did not show the nobility and the English the
divininty that was expected of them".