|Study Guide for Montaigne "On Cannibals" (1580)
- How does Montainge define barbarism?
- How would Montaigne redefine our understanding of the word
- What, then, according to Montaigne, allows societies of
the New World to surpass the Golden Age?
- Describe some of the physical details of the natives way
of life which support Montaigne's contention?
- Why, according to Montaigne, do these natives engage in cannibalism?
- Why does he consider this form of cruelty less harsh than
those practiced in 'civilized' Europe?
- What is the goal of warfare in tribal society and how does
it differ from the goals of European warfare?