A Girl of the Streets
- Describe Mrs. Johnson. (What might Dr. Freud have to say about the impact of Maggie's mother on her fate?)
- How does the old woman who lives next door to the Johnsons make enough money to get by?
- Who in the family has died during the years that pass before Maggie turns sixteen?
- Why hasn't Jimmie ever been to school? (What does he do instead of going to school?)
- What job does Jimmie finally land? What was that job like in lower Manhattan in the 1890's?
- How has Jimmie gotten in trouble with the law beyond fighting?
- How, over the years, has Mrs. Johnson gained fame throughout the neighborhood?
- List three acts in the vaudeville show that Maggie sees with Pete.
- How does Pete respond when Maggie won’t kiss him goodnight?
- What event finally convinces Maggie to leave home with Pete?
Can you identify the key moment in which Maggie makes a choice which
will lead to her destruction? (Could she have chosen differently?)